Fat girl, where is your army?
(My humblest apologies to Public Enemy.)
Kudos to my excellent friend Daners. She wrote a couple of brilliant posts (which you can read here and here) detailing her struggle with weight issues and why The Skinny Website sucks. Daners has inspired me and a few of my other excellent friends to openly declare war on the website and everything they stand for.
If you’ve been reading Deadpan for a while you might remember that I wrote my own scathing review of the site a few months back. I’ll recap in case you don’t want to read it again. The Skinny Website is devoted to publishing pictures of celebrities who are deemed to be too fat, or alternatively, too skinny. Visitors are encouraged to, pardon me, weigh in on the pictures. Oftentimes they do, and the comments can be extremely vicious. The site also has very strict rules about commenting. You can say anything you want about fat (or skinny) celebrities, but you may not talk bad about the website or its owner. Here are the rules:
1. No talking about your own eating disorder unless it relates to the post and celebrity.
2. No talking about purging or starvation. This isn’t a pro-ana site!
3. Try not to attack one another. Disagreement is fine and debate is encouraged, but there is no reason to attack or insult other commenters.
4. Absolutely no racism is allowed. Also, comments that put down an entire country, such as “stupid Americans”, etc etc is considered racism to me and will be deleted.
5. There will be no comments saying that a celebrity looks “gay” or “a lesbian” or “butch”, etc because of their hair or clothing. This can be very insulting to some people and seriously – it’s just plain rude.
6. Do not post links in the body of your comment. The entire comment will be deleted if you do, so there is no point.
7. Try and keep the comment relevant to the post.
8. Last but not least, do not insult me or the website. If you have a problem with either, please email me.
By making a comment, you agree to these rules. If you do not agree with them, do not comment.
People breaking rules 1, 2, 4, 5, and 8 will be immediately banned. People breaking the other rules who continue to do so will be banned after the second or third infraction.
Pretty vile, huh? Will you help us speak out against the madness? Here’s how you can help:
Take up arms in the Skinny Wars
Join us in a full assault on the Skinny Website. Make as many obnoxious comments as you can. Rock their world. Send them into comment moderation hell. If you succeed in getting banned from the website you can have a shiny new button for your blog like this one:
There are plenty more where that came from!
Spread the word
Write your own blog post about why you think The Skinny Website is an affront to women and everything that is decent. Tell your friends and have them write a blog post too!
Support the troops
Grab a button here and post it on your website or blog.
Your support is appreciated. Say no to misogyny. Fight the power!